Monday, 17 June 2013

Good-bye to Painting Fancy Ceilings...Hello to Painting Abstract Canvases

For the past seventeen years, I have been a decorative painter/ faux painter for interior designers and private home-owners. Recently, I made a decision to leave behind the painting world I've known to direct all of my creative energy into painting canvases inside the studio full-time. I thoroughly enjoyed the work that I did during those seventeen years, but my body seems to have other plans for me. Last year I spent ten months painting three ornamental ceilings in the grotesque style (a portion of one of the ceilings I painted is pictured below).


Below, you can see me painting a portion of one of the other ceilings. Strangely enough, it was not my neck that was affected by this project, but my lower back.


Below, another of the three ceilings I designed and painted in 2012.


Well, since that project wrapped up in November of 2012, my lower back has not been the same. That fact, coupled with my partner's desire to relocate to South Florida has brought me to this crossroads of sorts, about my vocation. When I began to paint special wall and ceiling finishes back in 1996, I was twenty-seven years old. Fast-forward to 2013 and my forty-five year old body has been telling me that my days of this very physically demanding type of work are coming to a close.
I have always painted canvases, mainly abstract paintings. Most of my friends have at least one painting that I have needed to find a home for once I ran out of wall space at my own home. I really love painting. It has been so fulfilling to be able to make a living at it for so long now. I spent a couple of stress-filled weeks recently when I, once more, hurt my back doing nothing unusual. It occurred to me as never before that I must find a new vocation if I am to have any quality of life as I grow older. 
So, this is how I came to the decision to dedicate myself to canvas art. This is my first time blogging and I thought it a good idea to share the journey to wherever painting goes for me from this point forward. 
Let's see what happens, shall we?

You can see more of my past decorative painting work here. I had to put it somewhere for prosperity!: 
See Jeff's decorative painting work on Pinterest

10 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful images and painting Jeff! WOW!
    Good luck with this endeavour!
    Have you thought about painting on canvas and then adhering to the ceiling or walls?
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Lori. Thanks for commenting.
    I have worked that way before (and it is great). Unfortunately, due to budgets, clients seldom could afford the extras like installation fee, removing texture before installation (then repairing the area to make it smooth for the canvas. The canvas jobs I did do were heaven and I actually gave them a lot more detail and finesse because of working on it in the studio. You can see some of them here: http://www.jeffhuckabypainting.com/20.html

    Thanks again for the well-wishes!
    -Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha- I Knew that ceiling job would get to you!
    Yet I believe that things happen perfectly---and now you are transforming into a new stage of your art career-
    AND you FINALLY started a blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Lyna! It got to me REALLY well. Thanks for your inspiration of blogging. Change comes; I embrace it.

      Delete
  4. Hi Jeff,
    It was only a couple of months ago (or so) that I tripped into your website through browsing on the Pininterest site; Jeff, your work took my breath away I bookmarked your site so I could visit and browse again and again, It was only tonight, that it came to my attention you had taken the site off the web....I had wanted to email you from the outset to say how sensational your work is - but I thought naaahh dont bother the man... Jeff, May you taste the sweet in every living day of your new artistic journey. thank you for the splendid artistic eye candy.
    Cheers from Patti (Sydney,Australia)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to comment, Patti. What a sweet way to begin my day!
      I really appreciate your well wishes so very much. I'm sure that I will paint more decorative ornament in the future (on a smaller scale), but my heart is elsewhere currently. Where the heart leads, we must follow!!
      Warmest regards, Patti.
      -Jeff

      Delete
  5. These paintings are very grand and epic. They really transform a wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shelley! Yes, they certainly can transform a space!!

      Delete
  6. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work.
    Fencing Spraying Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your work is amazing!!! It takes so my much of patience to do this kind of detail. The paintings are oozing with the long experience that you have. They totally give a new dimension to a bare wall / ceiling / small corners and niches, like they have a story of their own.
    I must say your work is very inspiring, and thank you for keeping such an art alive in this period of digital world.

    Warm Regards,
    Sonal Kaur

    ReplyDelete